Our PSHE Curriculum
At Barnwell Academy our strong PSHE curriculum is important to help our pupils develop into well-rounded members of society, who are able to make a positive contribution to their community. At Barnwell Academy, our PSHE curriculum is strongly tied to our sex and relationship education (SRE), pastoral care programme and the promotion of British Values.
Pupils will learn to:
- Understand what constitutes a healthy lifestyle.
- Understand safety issues, both in real life and online.
- Develop responsibility and independence within school which they will take forward into society in their working lives.
- Respect other people, in particular, learning to respect the different cultural/ethnic/religious/gendered viewpoints of others in our school community and the wider world.
- Understand what constitutes ‘socially acceptable’ behaviour at school and in society.
- Be a constructive member of society.
- Understand democracy.
- Develop good relationships with peers and adults.
- Develop self-confidence, self-esteem and self-worth.
- Make positive, informed choices as they make their way through life.
- Understand that they have a right to speak up about issues or events, and to respect other’s right to do the same.